Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science is one of the leading institution that also houses the Department of Physical Education & Sports Sciences under the Faculty of Inter-Disciplinary and Applied Sciences, University of Delhi offering all the categories of teacher training courses in physical education. The institute was established in August, 1987 by the Delhi Administration under the auspices of the University of Delhi. The institute is name after late Mrs.Indira Gandhi, the first lady Prime Minister of India. At the instance of University Grants Commission and based on professional advice of institutions like Lakshmi bai National Institute of Physical Education (Gwalior), Netaji Subhas Institute of Sports (Patiala), and Central Health Education Bureau (Delhi), a three year degree course viz. B.Sc. (Physical Education, Health Education and Sports) was started in the institute in 1987. It also now offers B.P.Ed. (Bachelor of Physical Education One Year and M.P. Ed. (Master of Physical Education Two Year), courses recognised by National Council of Teacher Education (N.C.T.E). The institute has Wel-Qualified staff, adequately equipped laboratories and a rich library with latest books and research journals. IGIPESS strives to inculcate approriate values and qualities required to develop sports-persons and physcial educators.
Smt. Sheila Dikshit, Hon'ble Chief Minister of Delhi as recently laind the 'Foundation Stone' of the INstitute at its new site of 17 1/2 acres of land opposite DDA branch office sector-3 Rohini, Delhi-110085. The institute plans to develop students-hostels, staff-quarters, gymnasium, swimming pool, auditiorum, synthetic 400 M track, synthetic hockey fieldand all other required infrastructure at its newsite. The total number of seats in each course and the number of seats for various categories including OBC/SC/St etc would be known only after the final decision recevied from Delhi University in this regard. These details are retrieved from www.igipess.com
Mission & Vision
Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education & Sports Sciences (IGIPESS) should be known in India & abroad for its excellence in producing competent directors/Physical Education Teachers (DPEs & PETs), Fitness Counsellors (FCs), Health Promoters (HPs) and Coaches GAMES & SPORTS (CGS).
By 2010, IGIPESS should have best programmes of teaching & research in Physical Education & Sports, on self sustainable basis, requiring no finances.
1. Starting of Placement Cell by 2007 along with infrastructure for Campus interviews etc.
2. Starting of Refresher Courses/Orientation Programmes by 2007 (along with requisite infrastructure).
3. Starting of M.Phil., Ph.D. increase in number of students by 2007 along with approval of ordinances & regulations.
4. Starting of Website of IGIPESS for Social Wellness and Fitness. Invite advertisements etc.
for its sustainability expenses by 2007.
5. Creation of Faculty of Physical Education & Sports Sciences by 2008 along with creation of necessary posts, if any.
6. Starting of Two Channel Admissions that is Fitness Excellence and Sports Excellence Channel by 2008 by getting the requisite modifications in ordinances through C.O.C., Faculty & A.C.
7. Starting of Distance Education by multimedia like Dus Kadams programme by 2008
(along with necessary infrastructure development).
8. Starting of Fitness, Exercise Food Prescription Centre by 2008 by creating requisite infrastructure.
9. Setting of Courses updating centers and Application of Existing Knowledge Centre by
2009 by creating requisite infrastructure.
10. Starting of B.Sc. (Sports Coaching) by 2010 by creating necessary infrastructure.
11. Starting of M.P.Ed. degrees in each specialization like Sports Management, Sports Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Pedagogy, Health Education, Wellness
Education etc. by 2010.
12. Creation of posts of Professors (promotion upto Professors level) and Readers by 2007
by the expansion of departmental membership and ordinances.
THE INSTITUTE’S MOTTO
“PHYSICAL EDUCATION FOR HEALTHFUL LIVING AND PROMOTION OF SPORTS”.