During the pre-independence era Nagpur was the Capital of central provinces and Berar state which included the part of the present Madhya Pradesh and Vidarbha.Nagpur was the one of the major center not only for the communications and market, but also for the education. An independent University was created in the year 1923, and was called as Nagpur University. The first hospital came into existence in Nagpur in 1862 and was known as'City Hospital'. The school of medicine was started around the same time. The hospital was named after Lord Mayo as Mayo Memorial Hospital.
In the beginning the college was started in the engineering School campus,Sadar. The pre-clinical classes used to be held in the same campus, while clinics were held in Mayo Hospital. An entrance examination was started in 1952 and the very next year it was abandoned .The degree course was of five years without an internship. It was divided in two years in Anatomy & physiology, Two years in Pathology, Pharmacology and Forensic medicine, while the final had Surgery, Ophthalmology & Gynecology. The internship was started from 1953 batch, and it was 9 months in district hospital and 9 months in village dispensaries. The teachers used to be very strict and had full attention over the behavior and regular and sincere work of the students.
The construction was started in full swing under the guidance of Lt.Col.A.N. Bose, Dr. Jiwaraj Mehta, Col.K.V. Kukdey,Architect Shri.D.G.Karajgaonkar and Sir Sobha singh as constructor and within a year the nurses hostel and present hostel no.1 building was ready for occupation in the year 1949 itself .In the beginning the hostel no.1 was boys hostel, while the lady students used to accommodated in nurses hostel. The students used to go to Sadar and for clinical postings in Mayo Hospital. The temporary barracks were constructed for the wards (present T.B. campus of GMC) and few wards were started in these barracks. The present new hospital building was ready and was inaugurated on 2nd October 1952,while the college building was ready in December, 1952 and was inaugurated by the first President of India, Hon'ble Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 27th March 1953and within few days all the departments started functioning in the present College building.
These details are retrieved from www.gmcnagpur.org.in